humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Fri Jan 25 21:40:13 UTC 2013

Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/25/2013 12:46 PM, James Freer wrote:
>> LOL - good reply! I must admit i do get fed up with the twin names. In
>> the Precise version... it was very much IMprecise. Just too many bugs
>> now to be worth using.
>
> It often seems to me that they're too concerned about making their names
> cute for my taste, but I don't use it myself and keep my opinion to
> myself for the most.  Now, alas, it's beginning to look like Fedora's
> going down that path instead of marketing itself as a serious distro for
> people who are more interested in how it works than in what it's called.
>  Alas, from what I can see, unless I'm active as a Fedora dev (My
> programming skills rusted away decades ago.) the only input I have to the
> process is making suggestions.  None of us "mere users" have a vote.

Trend which I see in my Linux "neighbourhood" is quite transparent -
people switch from Fedora elsewhere: some of them to Centos, others
to different distro, some leave Linux entirely. Perhaps nobody now
is using Gnome3. Reasons were always same - unacceptable quantum of
bugs, which solving take unacceptable quantum of time (when problem
was possible tackle/bypass by himself). Or there were some SW faults
which was needed solve with developers, and in many cases it wasn't
solved even until distro EOL.

I myself was not afraid install Fedora at production workstations and
servers, even in their beta phase - but it ended with F12-F13 (F14 was
still good distro, but in beta phase there was unworkable systemd; in
final release was upstart). And now I install Fedora not before several
weeks after final releas - and for testing purposes only.