Fedora 22 random freeze

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Sep 5 12:00:20 UTC 2015

On 09/05/15 18:40, Javier Perez wrote:
> Is it already known why Fedora 22 randomly freezes up?
> I am getting frequent freeze ups. I think it is at the display level because whenever it freezes up, I can always SSH to it from another computer. All input and output on my PC remain frozen.
> Nevertheless, even though I can kill X, it stays displayed on the screen and even if I try to reboot, the cmputer does not reboot, I have to physically hit the reset button.
>
> I am usng the KDE spin
>
> Is this problem known?, How can I troubleshoot it? How can I even describe it to google for it? I have been googling a little but all I get are unrelated general freeze up pages.

Unfortunately your experience is not uncommon.

Suggest you post it to the  kde at lists.fedoraproject.org list for better help as far as potential trouble shooting.

My most recent experience with "freeze" is not a solid one.  The screen is frozen but I can still move the mouse around.  Also, if there is a video playing it will freeze but the audio will continue on.  I can get out of it by logging in from a terminal and doing a "killall -u myusername" which gets me back to the login screen.

I think "kwin" is the most likely suspect and have upgraded to kwin-5.4.0-4 from updates testing as the changelog included this nugget which gave me hope....

* Tue Aug 25 2015 Daniel Vrátil <dvratil at redhat.com> - 5.4.0-2
- add upstream patch to fix crash
- make sure kwayland-integration is installed for kwin-wayland

But no...  Still have issues.

--
It seems most people that say they are "done talking about it" never really are until given the last word.