Change "Contributors" to "Wiki"?

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Mon Nov 1 17:16:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 01:30:13PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> 2010/11/1 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>
> > 'Wiki' is a technology. The wiki is primarily for contributors. The
> > wiki's unfriendliness to folks not familiar with Fedora is why we have a
> > website in the first place, rather than just a wiki.
> >

> I think wiki has a lot of useful content for users and we keep adding more.
> I am not sure it is intended for just contributors.

There was a discussion some time ago on the scope of the wiki. I believe
that we decided that the wiki was a space for two different types of
content (and I am paraphrasing here):

1) content that helps users learn how to get things done with Fedora
   (end-user content)
2) content that helps organize and direct current and future
   contributors (contributor content)

Perfect examples of both:
1) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
2) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/14/FeatureList

Additionally, there is so much content on the wiki that may or may not
have been superceded by some of the content of the static website
(notably, the content on the Foundations). And, admittedly, that content
is useful for both users *and* contributors.

What I personally have found -- and perhaps the actual data does not
back this up, totally unsure right here -- is that people Google for
what they want to learn, whether from docs.fp.o or fp.o/w, or they get
links on that information from friends or #fedora.

(I don't care one way or the other on 'Contributors' or 'Wiki'. I'm just
providing information.)

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>