[Fedora-directory-users] fedora directory server on Windows

paul barnes p_e_c_barnes at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 6 08:15:17 UTC 2006

Thank you for your reply

  I'm quite used of Netscape DS&Sun DS, and would have appreciated FDS specially for its plugin capabilities, and its Windows support! But costs, as you present them, are prohibitive for me so far.

  => I'm looking for an applicative Directory Server on Windows...

  There was, in my mind,  OpenLDAP, ADAM, FDS, ...
  - OpenLDAP (now v2.3.34) is not officialy supported for Windows http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/196.html
  , even if we can find Windows version of OpenLDAP
   http://lucas.bergmans.us/hacks/openldap/ (only v2.2.29 so far)

  - ADAM has some particularities which makes it not so easy to handle (for me), but must be investigated a little bit...

  - FDS : the question is "Does Redhat intends to support FDS on Windows, and when?"

  Does anybody have any other ideas or can give me indications ....

  Thank you

  Paul Barnes

David Boreham <david_list at boreham.org> a écrit :
  Paul, while the paragraph here
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Building#Windows
implies that FDS builds on Windows. In fact it doesn't.
It _could_ be made to build, install and run on Windows,
since there was a Windows version of its ancestor products.
But I'd be astonished if someone could get it to build and install
with less than a month's solid work. It might take three months.
This isn't something that you'll be able to do with answers to
one or two simple questions on this list. (unfortunately).
You'll need to study and understand the build process,
and also write quite a bit of code in order to complete the project.

Removing the admin server from the build will help
(although I guess one might question the usefulness of
the result), but it isn't by any means all that needs to be done.

http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail