[Fedora-directory-users] Fedora Directory Server on Ubuntu, problem with libsasldb (reward)

Ivan V. ivanelterrible at ivanyvenian.com
Fri Jul 27 00:01:13 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have an Ubuntu 7.04 server with Fedora Directory Server (the one for
FC5) installed and running.

I want to enable LDAP authentication with PAM, but it seems I have a
problem with the libsasldb.so.2 library.

When ns-slapd starts it throws this error on auth.log:

unable to dlopen /usr/lib/sasl2/libsasldb.so.2: undefined symbol:
db_strerror_4002

After some digging, it seems it's caused by the incompatibility between
my libsasldb and the one required by FDS.

And when I try to login, on the same auth.log pam_ldap throws this error:

ldap_simple_bind: Can't contact LDAP server

Which I think is caused by the same problem, because otherwise my LDAP
directory is working just fine.

What version of libsasldb do I need exactly for FDS? Is it possible to
install it on Ubuntu or somehow tell FDS to use one located at a
different place? Are these the right questions?

Reward of $100 USD to the person that helps me get LDAP authentication
working (via PayPal), without suggesting I place FDS on a Fedora Core
server, because this is actually for a guide (free) I'm writing to help
other small companies replace Active Directory with Ubuntu/FDS/SAMBA.

To be able to collect the reward and be fair, please post on this site:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_22724351.html

I hope you don't find my request out of place. I'm just trying to learn,
to help other small companies, and to give my grain of sand to the OS
community.

- Ivan V.