[389-users] error: failed to install local copy of fedora-ds-1.1.jar

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Jun 9 14:02:13 UTC 2009

lejeczek wrote:
> hi everybody,
> error is from idm console, rpms are as follows:
> fedora-ds-base-1.2.0-4.fc9.x86_64
> fedora-ds-dsgw-1.1.2-1.fc9.x86_64
> fedora-ds-base-devel-1.2.0-4.fc9.x86_64
> fedora-ds-console-1.2.0-1.fc9.noarch
> fedora-ds-admin-1.1.7-3.fc9.x86_64
> fedora-ds-admin-console-1.1.3-1.fc9.noarch
>
> and yet, even if I delete ~/.fedora-idm-console and start console, I
> can connect to admin servers but not do ds
> and when above folder gets created anew after manual deleteion files
> actually copied from, I guess, /usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/
> and not linked as they used to be, linking would be better - not?
Not.  The console is designed to manage remote servers - each server
version has its own jar file version.  The console figures out which jar
file it needs to manage which server, and requests that jar file to be
downloaded from the admin server and installed in your local
~/.fedora-idm-console directory.
> and this numbering versions nomenclature is a bit messy, there in
> ~/.fedo... should be fedora-{ds,admin} linked to
> correct versions in /usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/

> so my call for help is - what is missing, I rpm'ed above packages but
> it did not help
> i can copy files by hand but I expect it to work out of box - no?
The way it works is that you start the console and select which server
you want to manage.  The console is supposed to automatically detect,
download, and install the correct jar file.