RFC: Release team meetings

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 14:26:43 UTC 2007

> I see you've taken this as an US vs THEM stance again.

Slightly differently, I think Thorsten is describing general feelings
that are out there, not his personal reaction.

Jesse -- the seed is in your post:

"It's part of the reason why I _haven't_ yet created the sig page for
the release team, thinking about this crud gives me a headache."

I agree that you don't want to slow down progressing on the idea that
Bill put forward.  But you are basically saying that you are allergic to
governance details.  In that case, pick someone else to do them.

Like them or not, governance details are vital.  They break real or
perceived cabals.  Doesn't matter who the cabals are or where they are
paid, etc.  Cabal is as cabal does.

Your reaction reminds of what happened nine months ago when I suggested
we get some proper project management to make Fedora releases go more
smoothly.  "Oh, no, project management, this is sounding too much like
RHEL engineering."  Well, no ... but Fedora is not some kid Linux distro
produced in spare time by basement hackers.  Its success is pretty vital
to all of us.  Shying away from "ickle project management" and "ucky
governance" is shortsighted.  And it will get us in trouble nearly every
time we do it.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project