Group proposal: FEMA, the Fedora Election Management and Administration

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 17 18:01:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Sandro "red" Mathys wrote:

> Actually I thought the elections to be a matter dealed with by the
> board but apparently that's not the case and no-one feels responsible
> either. Maybe that task should be added to the CWGs tasks? The CWG is
> already a go-between for the community and the committees and I think
> elections belong to the same field.

Possibly controversial statement time:

If the CWG is doing anything other than (more or less):

(1) Identifying gaps or lapses in Fedora Project processes

(2) Spec-ing out the critical path to address those gaps or lapses

and

(3) Finding and cultivating leadership to address those gaps or lapses
in a way that can be maintained going forward

then I submit to you that the CWG will be Doing It Wrong.

We don't want to end up with a Community Working Group that is now
accountable (as an entity) for some portfolio of tasks within Fedora.
All that does is create another level of oversight and committee.

If individuals on the CWG end up choosing to take something on, that's
fine.  It's also subtly different.

CWG should be set up with a charter that takes it through next
September.  Then use the rest of 2011 to look at successes, and
determine if another round of CWG is appropriate, with any necessary
tweaks.

--Max