Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-10-21 - special meeting

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 20:13:49 UTC 2010

The purpose of this meeting was primarily to discuss naming for F15.
We also discussed some other pending board business. Without further
ado, the minutes are.......<drumroll>:

= Board Meeting 21 Oct 2010 =

== Roll Call ==
=== Present ===
* Tom "spot" Callaway
* Jared Smith
* Chris Tyler
* Rex Dieter
* Colin Walters
* Jon Stanley
* Matt Domsch
* Máirín Duffy
* Stephen Smoogen

=== Regrets ===
* Christopher Aillon

== Agenda ==
* Work on name suggestions for Fedora 15
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_15

== Top 12 ==
<pre>
* Iroquois	XXXXXXXXX     ***
* Asturias	XXXXXXXX      ***
* Blarney	XXXXXXXX      ***
* Malmstrom	XXXXXX        ***
* Sturgis	XXXXXX        ***
* Carlin	XXXXX         ***
* Guerrero	XXXX          ***
* Gutzwiller	XXXX          ***
* Macau		XXXX          ***
* Lovelock	XXX           ***
* Bardeen	XXX           ***
* Pushcart	XXX           ***
</pre>

== Needs to be done ==
Amur - http://amursoftwarelimited.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

Fortaleza (jstanley) - nothing obvious -
http://www.startlocal.com.au/computing/computerequipmentandaccessories/nsw_centralnsw/Fortaleza_Services_Pty_Ltd_1554949.html
looks like a local computer shop, not sure.

Iommi (jstanley) living person - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Iommi

Iroquois (mdomsch) online poker http://www.iroquoispoker.net.
Iriquois Gas uses linux. http://m.sybase.com/detail?id=1026945  looks
OK to me

Gutzwiller (spot) Meets criteria (might be hard to move forward from)

Bellevue - MAYBE

Neruda (mizmo) - NO Verdi Neruda is a prolog meta interpreter
http://github.com/Joelbyte/verdi-neruda, Neruda Neruda Consulting is a
private company categorized under Online Services Technology
Consultants and located in
Columbus OH (http://www.manta.com/c/mm2301k/neruda-consulting)

Sewickey - Looks good (ctyler)

Leuchars - Looks good (jsmith)

Blarney (mizmo) Looks good.

Weizenbaum just ELIZA hits no company names (walters: REJECTED,
duplicate link physicist->physicist) but was Laughlin a pianist :)

Coltrane - old wordpress code name and software for
Library/Environment for the Numerical Solution of Partial Differential
Equations

Szpilman - do not see any conflicts with software/code (smooge)

== Voting Schedule ==
* October 23-31 Collect Questions for Questionnaire*
* October 23- November 7th Nominations Open
* November 1 Publish Questionnaire*
* November 1-10 Organize/Schedule Town Halls
* November 2-8 Candidates Respond to Questionnaires*
* November 10 Publish Questionnaire Responses*
* November 13-19 Town Halls
* November 20-28 Voting Period
 * depends on someone volunteering to do the work, otherwise there
won't be questionnaires

jsmith: +1
spot: +1
mizmo: +1
smooge: +1
jstanley: +1
ctyler: +1
walters: +1
rdieter +1
mdomsch: +1

Board approved! (jsmith to post on wiki + advisory board list)

* nominations moved out to nov 7 rather than oct 31

== Notes ==

=== Spins Wrangler ===
* Bruno started writing a job description for spins wrangler, need to
finish document
* How much work is it?
** From Nirik's work - 1-2 hours day / machine builds them every day
** If a build breaks in rawhide, wrangler has to fix
** A release-engineering style job

* We need to figure out what spins are
** Mega DVD put all desktop choices in GRUB. Not necessarily best
approach, why not DE selection in GDM?
** Two types of spins - Desktop Environments and Functional
(Electronics, Design)
** Does anyone practically use them? Issue with live usb eating itself
when out of disk space
** mdomsch added agenda item to FUDCon Tempe; Board should lead
discussion on future of Spins and bring up at FUDcon

=== Dual-Layer DVD Ambassadors' Request ===
* Board isn't opposed to the idea, but dislikes the timing of the
request, well past feature freeze
** We're not saying no to the concept, it's a good idea, but we want
to make sure things are done right
** Most spins are not provided as official physical media
** Mega DVD is available for review:
*** torrent: http://sspreitzer.fedorapeople.org/torrents/
*** direct download: http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/mega-dvd-test/
** Major concerns are:
*** Needs to be built on Fedora infrastructure
*** Needs to have basic QA
*** Needs polish/artwork/sleeves
* We need to establish requirements for approving something like this
** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Media_Handout_Requirements (mdomsch)
* Board to revisit once requirements are documented.

=== Election Schedule ==
Board started with John Rose's proposed schedule, and modified
slightly the early dates.

* October 23-31 Collect Questions for Questionnaire*
* October 23- November 7th Nominations Open
* November 1 Publish Questionnaire*
* November 1-10 Organize/Schedule Town Halls
* November 2-8 Candidates Respond to Questionnaires*
* November 10 Publish Questionnaire Responses*
* November 13-19 Town Halls
* November 20-28 Voting Period
 * depends on someone volunteering to do the work, otherwise there
won't be questionnaires

There are several jobs that need volunteers to step up for:
# Election Coordinator
# Questionnaire Coordinator
# Town Hall Moderator (x3)

[[Category:Board_meetings]]