[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Be a critique

Pawel Sadowski mcgiwer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 21 17:37:41 UTC 2006

Hi,

> >I have to agree with that.. a one-disc install would be nice. I
> noticed
> >that Debian/Ubuntu gets packages from the internet - why can't
> Fedora? (If
> >people want the packages on CD, then I think the 4 CD pack/1 DVD is
> still
> >quite nice) - why can't we have both?
> >

> >Clair
> >
> Every version of Fedora has support for a network installation which
> supports http/ftp/nfs and even vnc.Anaconda has been providing this
> for
> a long long time. Maybe you guys could read the installation guide at
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs.
>
> --
> Rahul

I agree with Rahul, the system on 4 CDs or one DVD is a good solution.
And for those, who want to install needed packages via the Internet,
there is a network installation available. But the official Live CD
would be something wonderful :)

> Anaconda no more!

I don't agree at this poing. I personally like Anaconda and I think we
should continue using and improving this installer, it's also respecting
of Fedora's history. I think we should avoid importing solutions from
other distros, it's important to save our origin (you know what I
mean...). We should rather focus on improving our ideas and inventions.

> Bluecurve makes me remember Red Hat 9, GNOME or KDE, of both?
> yes is a theme, could not be a valid argument. SimpleKDe is the best
> option for a single cd installer. If some one wants gnome download it
> and run it!
>
> How to replace
> KDE simple is the next generation of desktop or XPDE,,,,(more better,
> faster and cheaper (Mathew dixit in Summit 2005)

I like GNOME and the Bluecurve theme. In my opinion GNOME should be
still a default graphical environment. The two environments should be
available during the installation and if somebody wants KDE, he can
choose it.

That's my opinion. We should respect our history and traditions.
That's all :)

Regards,
Pawel Sadowski