[Fedora-ambassadors-list] A new version of beta1 (codename beta4)

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sat Mar 11 03:19:51 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 10:12, Francesco Ugolini wrote:
> Everything is Open and i ask myself why i have to use a close OS such
> as Windows, when in the world exist Open (Source) Operating System
> and i've decided to extend this issue in a banner. Correctly you ask
> me why i've decided to use Open instead of  Free, my reply is simple:
> many commercial (so close) software are freely, so i've thought that
> we have to underline the Open side of Fedora, that is the gratest
> thing of this project.
>
> This is my opinion.
>
> What do you think, then ?
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

I'm inclined to agree with Tejas on this one.  I understand why you wish to
use "open", but the usage is improper.  I suppose you could consider it a
quirk of English.  A theme of "open for <noun>", "open like <noun>", or "open
to <noun>" would be correct usage.  Try building larger sentences with your
lines.  This will give you a better feel for the usage.

For example, try to finish these and make them sound right:

"Love is open to ___"
"___'s change is open"

Where these are obvious:

"Fedora is open to change"
"Fedora is open for the world"
"Fedora is open like the universe"

If you go with "free", you get these:

"Love is free for everyone"
"Your life is free"

I can't tell you what the right way is in this case, but I can tell you that
the current phrases don't feel right to me.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/