[Fedora-ambassadors-list] About the openness of this list...

Clair fedora at freehold.no-ip.info
Sat Mar 11 23:43:42 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 March 2006 23:11, you wrote:
> Clair,
>
> I agree with you that the CLA signung process is a pain, but it was
> not imposed by this group, and ALL Fedora projects need to abide by
> it.

The CLA process *is* imposed by the group.

> However, I am having difficulty understanding your position towards
> this project. The only communication I have received from you was your
> announcement that you want to leave the program and that you chose not
> to share the reasons with the list.

I said I wasn't willing to post them on the list. Do you know the reasons? I
have spoken to many people since giving them. Many people emailed me
privately, and some spoke to me on irc.

> My interpretation of that email was very straightforward--Clair wants
> to leave, I remove Clair's account and say whenever she wants to
> return she is welcome to.

That doesn't mean that I should be stopped from helping bring the Ambassadors
project back on track.

> During the time you were member of the group Clair, I did not see you
> even try to participate in any discussions on the list or on IRC, and
> I have not  seen you contribute to UK events, or request our support
> for any of your activities there. And so I don't see how we failed
> you.

Well, the reason you haven't seen me post on irc is because you are rarely on
irc. (You haven't even subscribed to services).

Why did I not contribute to UK events? Because I wasn't given the support. I
enquired about talking to my LUG, but was told there was nothing you can do
to help me.

I cannot make it to big events. Why should I have to?

> The Ambassadors project is based on self-driven individuals going out
> and talking about Fedora to other people. Famsco can *support* them
> and provide them with feedback, but can hardly take each of the
> volunteers by the hand and lead them along. With the amount of
> resources we got (almost non-existent) this model will not scale,
> however much I regret it.

You don't need resources. Not everything is about giving away free DVDs or
free t-shirts. This is where you lost your sight on the project. It's not
about big events and free stuff. It's about telling people who ask about
Fedora, about answering their questions, it's about saying why they should
(if at all) switch to Fedora from another distro.

If we work on people on at a time, it will be more effective than going to
huge events.

> Our goal as leaders of the Ambassadors project should be to empower
> the Ambassadors to do great stuff out there, but it will have to
> remain the individual Ambassadors' responsibility to come up with the
> ideas and the drive to implement them.

But are you really managing that?

As a side note, I have not rejoined the project, I have merely rejoined the
mailing list so that I can help steer the project the way it should be; to
say what I think is wrong.