[Ambassadors] What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 9 13:15:13 UTC 2008

Hello Gerold

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008, Gerold wrote:
> I'm sorry, sitting in Boeblingen, Germany at a education and have not my
> "environment" with me to answer you in detail.

I know and that's understandable to me.

> But you're right if you'll say our or mine activity was not very strong
> in the past; exactly since end of Linuxtag but this are private issues
> (better say business and payed by my employer).

This is not specific to you, more to the board of Fedora EMEA e.V. in total
as you've e.g. two other guys which are allowed to represent the NPO into
the world as well.

> You as a foundation member, also as elected Treasurer of the Fedora EMEA
> e.V. have and also as Ambassador have all posibility to ask the board
> whatever you want and you'll get an answer. But Robert, please also allow
> us to do our legal paperwork for the german financial departments and
> create the yearly mandatory financial report. Maybe you forgot, the NPO
> was founded in February this year. There is no general report done right
> now, because the end of the year is still ready.

The question for information and details was AFAIK handed out to the Fedora
EMEA e.V. board already multiple times and as far as I can trust the voices
regarding the FAD EMEA, the NPO wasn't also a theme on the topic there. It
is not always me asking directly, but I'm also hearing voices and what I'm
seeing is, that we all didn't get any message about what Fedora EMEA e.V.
did the last half year.

I am not the financial department, so I'm not interested how every cent was
used or not used, but some rough general information when giving the money
away should be possible, right? Of course not for every cent and not for
every 50 or 100 Euro, but no communication is definately the wrong way, we
currently drive.

> ... Ad by the way, would you get a report of every cent which you "spend
> to Fedora EMEA e.V." because you don't trust the Board or why?

Sorry, if I maybe was unclear. I was not expecting a detailed report about
every cent, but some news or messages like "we've payed t-shirts for XYZ"
or "we have given money to ABC because of Blahfoo" to the members of the
NPO via the already existing mailinglist would have been enough from my
point of view - that should be a thing which seems to nothing special and
also nothing much timeconsuming to me...otherwise delegate it? Fedora EMEA
e.V. has a press person which could take care of that, right? But without
the information, that something can get published, even a press person can
not do that...

> Nobody needs to be member of this NPO!

Means? That we don't need any members in the NPO? I don't want to question
the NPO, but if I'm allowed to remember, the NPO exists out of members
which should get some knowledge about what happens inside and so on. If we
just would have needed a legal organisation, we also could have founded a
(non-profit) company rather an organisation, right?

Greetings,
  Robert