[Ambassadors] Meeting Minute: FAmSCo Town Hall 2010-02-08

Matthias Kranz matthiaskranz at gmx.de
Wed Feb 10 09:34:14 UTC 2010

On 02/10/2010 09:52 AM, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
> Hello Matthias,
>
> 2010/2/9 Matthias Kranz<matthiaskranz at gmx.de>:
>> On 02/09/2010 06:12 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>> Currently Red Hat seems to try to cut costs at the expense of their employees and the
>>> Fedora community. This will not work out, it's cutting off their nose to spite their face!
>>
>> Christoph,
>>
>> what does you lead to the perception that "Red Hat is cutting costs at
>> the expense of their employees and the Fedora community"?
>>
>> And second question: Did you recently look at the financial numbers of
>> Novell?
>
> is Novell our best practice?

The only thing I wanted to point out is that Novell is definitely
spending more money than they earn. Which includes Marketing. Which
includes all kinds of Community support.

> I think we are different, but the symbiosis of Fedora and RHT is due
> to some bottlenecks in EMEA at the very moment very exhausting.

I really don't know what you mean here. What bottlenecks are you
referring to? And it sounds as if you extend the discussion to a wider
field than before?

> Beware RHT, once the contributors are upset, they might consider a
> strike? Or leave the project?
 >
> @Matthias; What would RHT do if EMEA strikes for 2 release cycles?

I really don't know what you mean by "EMEA striking for 2 release cycles
...".

> @Christoph; What do you think, how many blockings and dead ends are
> acceptable until you would leave the project?

The discussion is going into a wrong direction. As others already
pointed out. The Fedora Ambassador project has a decent budget which was
(still is) not even totally used. So, if there are ideas how to spend it
more effective and lasting, I am sure that the FAmSCO and its budget
manager consider every constructive contribution.

Matthias