[Ambassadors] How to be a Mentor?

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 17:18:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Neville A. Cross <nacross at gmail.com> wrote:

> Probably we need to stablish that mentors are no higher rank
> ambassadors, is just another duty, another way to collaborate to the
> project. A project that is based on sharing.

This is an excellent point. I don't know if we need to "establish" this,
because all along my understanding of being an Fedora Ambassador mentor is
that being a mentor does NOT give one any special privileges or higher rank
-- and I hope that is the way it is across the board in other groups within
Fedora.

A mentor is an Ambassador with the additional responsibilities of helping
those Ambassadors with less experience to gain more experience in promoting
Fedora, provide the tools needed for Ambassadors to promote Fedora, etc.

This larger responsibility, in my opinion, has to be earned and an
Ambassador should be involved and active -- important point: active -- and
know the ins and outs of both the Fedora Project and simple promotional
techniques at the very least (not to mention good people skills) before they
can mentor others.

Further, on the issue of who should be a mentor, there should be some
yardstick or metric (if you're using the metric system :-) ) to measure who
has the ability, desire, talent and responsibility to be one. As a mentor,
there are several ambassadors I can think of who would make good mentors.

Larry Cafiero
Fedora Ambassador Mentor / North America