[Ambassadors] FUDCon APAC bids

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:14:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Igor Pires Soares <igorsoares at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO opinion having a spreadsheet with metrics could be helpful, but I
> would like that to be made by someone who knows the region really well.
> Otherwise the numbers will be as subjective as any other subjective
> aspect.

I planned to stay out of this thread largely because I don't really
think a public vote of all ambassadors really makes much sense.
However I do agree with Igor here. I helped a little bit with the last
LATAM organizational meetings concerning site selection and
sponsorships and I found this spreadsheet very difficult to make sense
of as I think most people did. Not only are most of the listed items
not something easy to determine from far away but the categories being
used didn't really capture the things we felt were important (not that
the things listed weren't important).

Part of selecting a site is answering questions like:

How much would a FUDCon in this area improve Fedora participation in the region?
How much would a FUDCon in this area result in actual productive work
being done during the event? Shortly after the event? Long term?

These are subjective by their nature and I don't think we can pretend
processes like site selection and sponsorship selection aren't
subjective.

I also agree with Kital that +1 isn't enough. Even when we form an
opinion and make a decision based on subjective factors everyone
involved deserves to have a clear understanding of what went into the
decision. These decisions, because they aren't a simple exercise in
mathematics, are the hardest ones to make.

Perhaps if FAmSCo was given some guidance about what the Fedora
Project hopes to achieve with a particular event that could help them
in making a suggestion. Which of the bids do you prefer? vs. Which of
the bids do you prefer in light of goals A, B, and C? If there aren't
goals that extend beyond the region then I'd be happy seeing the FPL
work with that region to decide the location.

John