[Ambassadors] Fedora booth at USENIX LISA

Beth Lynn Eicher bethlynn at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 8 22:48:44 UTC 2013

Hey All and Zonker!

I organized a Fedora Birds of a Feather (BoF) at USENIX LISA 2010 with
a standing room only crowd. It was so popular, people did not want to
leave.

Vaguely I recall promising an event report. Well, better late than never.

Other Fedora active community members I recall in attendance are
Quad - community gardener
Ben Cotton - docs team
David Nalley - docs team
Larry Cafiero - ambassador
Paul Mezzanini - sysadmin from RIT who mirrors Fedora, well, at least in 2010
Some real life sysadmins who work directly at Red Hat HQ showed up in
a ninja like fashion.

We gave away LiveDVDs that we created ourselves and some random Fedora
swag I had left over. Pens and balloons as far as I recall. We really
could have used some stickers because this is a crowd that uses them
on their laptop cases.

Because everyone present was at least aware of what Fedora is and were
long time GNU/Linux users, we talked about the following things:
* how to get involved in the Fedora Project
* the Foundations
* Upcoming features that we were excited about
* I did an install on a projection screen

If you decide to supplement your exhibit presence with a BOF, you may
for gratis. First come, first served.

While I regret that I cannot personally attend LISA this year, I am
rather sure that Fedora's presence will be very popular.

All of the Best,
Beth Lynn Eicher

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have an opportunity to have a Fedora booth (no charge to Fedora) at
> USENIX LISA. I'm attending and Matthew Miller has also expressed
> interest in attending and working the booth. I wanted to 1) touch base
> with the ambassadors and see what i's need to be dotted and t's need to
> be crossed, and also 2) see if other folks would be interested in
> turning up to help spread the Fedora love at USENIX LISA.
>
> Exhibit hours are November 6th from Noon to 7 p.m. and November 7th from
> 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
>
> There may also be an opportunity to sign up for/run a Birds of a
> Feather session.
>
> Best,
>
> jzb
> --
> Joe Brockmeier | Open Source and Standards, Red Hat
> jzb at redhat.com | http://community.redhat.com/
> Twitter: @jzb  | http://dissociatedpress.net/

Thanks,

Beth Lynn Eicher