[Ambassadors] Marketing requirements - what do the ambassadors need?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:54:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 09:25 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> And that's completely fine. Flyers have a short lifespan, but that
> doesn't mean they don't work.
> If someone even takes it home and at least looks at it and then
> throws
> it away, it sounds almost like a success story :)
> While if you give someone, who is not familiar with Fedora, a pen,
> it's
> just a pen with some weird "Facebook" logo on it. That's it, it
> doesn't
> convey any information. Probability that someone would look at Fedora
> because of a pen he/she finds in his/her bag after he/she returns
> home
> is practically zero.
>
> Not mentioning that the costs
> of a flyer and a quality pen are not even remotely comparable.

Thank you for the feedback everyone! The entire idea of this thread was
to see if we can find a suitable set of collaterals. The flyers are
"quick and easy", which is why I started with them.

I do agree that the flyers mostly end up in the bin, but then, that
pretty much is their life cycle - pick up, read and gather some info,
throw away. The important part here is the 'gather some info' part IMO.
I think they have a high "information/price" ratio - if that can be
thought of as a metric.

Having said that, I think different collaterals suit different target
audiences. A pen does very little for a newbie - he doesn't have the
minimum level of information on Fedora to make any thing of it, or to
take anything away from it? Of course, they find it really cool, but
they probably have pens from different distros too, not just Fedora, so
one can't really be sure that the pen will be enough to get them to try
Fedora when they get home. A flyer might fit the bill here?

On the other hand, a regular Fedora user would appreciate a pen and
other goodies - it'd help cement them as a Fedora user - the target
audience and the purpose of the collateral is different here.

Like the different Fedora products are now more targeted to their
audiences, difference collaterals can also be targeted towards their
different audiences - what do you think?

I'm trying to put together a matrix here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha/Marketing_Collateral_Ide
as

You can edit the page directly if you wish, or just continue the
discussion here and I'll try to transfer the information.

--
Thanks again,
Regards,