[fedora-arm] Fedora 23 for aarch64 is here!

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 21:13:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 05:13:58 +0000, you wrote:

>On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 17:38 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Fedora 23 for aarch64 released
>
>At the risk of incurring your wrath......

You should be complaining to ARM and their partners.

>If I understand this correctly, the two "supported" platforms are....
>
>a) AMD Seattle 1100
>b) Applied Micro X-Gene
>
>Now, please correct me if I am wrong, (it's been a while since I
>looked), but ISTR that the AMD dev kit costs $3000 and the X-Gene, a
>mere, $2500.
>
>I understand why RedHat might want to target those "business" class
>solutions, but surely the 64 bit hardware that Fedora, (Fedora distro,
>not RedHat disto), needs to be targeting with "official" out-of-the-box
>support are the 96Boards, ie. HiKey and Dragonboard.... Hardware that
>is actually accessible to "ordinary" people to tinker with, at $100 a
>pop!

The problem is ARM and partners aren't delivering what was expected
(promised?).

I recall a presentation from a Red Hat employee where ARM had agreed
that aarch64 needed a standard boot process so this craziness of
needing custom boot software for every board could be a thing of the
past.  Hasn't happened, hence the problems supporting the hardware
that is available.

There were also supposed to be standard sized motherboards with
regular memory slots, etc. available by now, and they have failed.  We
are now in to November and nothing has been announced, leaving me to
conclude that nothing will ship this year.