[fedora-arm] Fedora 23 for aarch64 is here!

Marcin Juszkiewicz mjuszkiewicz at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 17:49:39 UTC 2015

W dniu 10.11.2015 o 15:57, Clive Messer pisze:
> On Tue, 2015-11-10 at 09:17 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> Basically the Raspberry Pi organisation has no urge to be a good
>> citizen in the open source community

> I cannot believe you said that! At least put some context into that
> sentence. They have "donated" considerable $$$$'s to various open
> source projects!

And? How many of those changes were accepted and how many rejected as
being ugly hacks?

> I see people joining Linaro, being welcomed with open arms (pun???)
> when they slap some money down on the table, gaining open source
> "street cred" by doing so, but not being particularly open source
> friendly. It's a stepping stone to appearing to be open source
> friendly.....

Linaro has other way of working than Fedora (or Debian) has.

> Fedora "officially" supporting, (out-of-the-box), SoC vendors who far
> from being open source friendly, contribute very little to the open
> source community and are guilty of GPL violations......

Fedora supports those SoC vendors which are present in mainline kernel.
Good, bad ones does not matter as long as it boots because we do not
judge them. We take what is present.

BCM2836 is not present in mainline kernel == not present in
distributions. Never mind that it is present in thousands of boards.

On the other hand CPU present in ten boards (but present in mainline
kernel) can get Fedora booting out of box without adding extra work for us.

> The fact is, that the Pi Foundation is a good citizen in the open
> source community. That they don't have an "upstream kernel first"
> policy, doesn't make them a bad citizen in the open source community.
> That is so unfair!
>
> What's next? Are ARM Holdings PLC (or anyone who has purchased IP
> from them) to be avoided at all costs because they refuse to open
> source a MALI driver? LOL.

I can boot most of boards with MALI using only FOSS software and have
them working with graphics. R/Pi does not even boot without closed
blobs. You call it FOSS friendly?