[fedora-arm] Realtek wifi on ARM devices

Clive Messer clive.m.messer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 18:01:27 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-11-07 at 12:01 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:

>  It would be great if those of you with such devices could test a
> rawhide kernel and report back good and/or bad experiences.

Peter,

I use a bunch of 8188CUS/8192CU dongles and have tried rtl8xxxu. The
biggest issue, (well, not really an issue, reliability is more
important to me), is the lack of throughput. I typically see ~500KB/s,
rather than MBs. Having said that, it's definitely already more stable
than the upstream rtl8192cu driver. (Which is definitely afflicted with
crap throughput, as well as stalls and disconnects from AP.) The
Realtek vendor, (8192cu driver that the Pi people patch into their
kernel by default), is still my driver of choice for the
8188CUS/8192CU, by virtue of the fact it is stable and decent
throughput.

Anyway, a round of applause for Jes! And hopefully as he starts to work
on features, like 40MHz channels, rtl8xxxu throughput will improve.

Clive
--
Clive Messer <clive.m.messer at gmail.com>