What is success for Fedora?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 15:49:36 UTC 2014

On 3 July 2014 02:16, Christian Schaller <cschalle at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

I agree on that. I would prefer that we have some things that can be
'certainty'

> so what we would need to do instead is pick a set of indicators to watch
> like a combination of overall tracked Fedora product downloads during a
> release series,

For your future reference,  product downloads is a bad indicator. Most of
our downloads are via mirrors which we can't track. The main download
server is usually 60-80% mirrors, 5-15% development downloads for various
machs and kojis out there.. and I am guessing the rest is direct downloads
but it is hard to say. The only thing we can track is yum updates as they
pull various meta-data from the proxies.. Even then it is noisy and you
have to choose which filters to use to possibly clean out noise.

> pick a few conferences to poll the attendees about operating system usage
> (JBoss
> and OpenStack conferences could possibly be good choices while GUADEC,
> Akademy
> or Flock would likely be bad choices :)) and Google trends for example. So
> none

Get this done by a third party and you should be golden. Doing
pools/surveys with your own people brings in so many biases and problems
that the data isn't worth the time it took to get. [Sorry too much
psychology training on this..]

> of them would give us a 100% accurate answer, but combined we should be
> able to
> at least detect trends from them.
>
> Of course the exact indicator composition would wary a bit between the 3
> products.
>
> Christian

Stephen J Smoogen.