[RFC] CUDCon - Cloud conference to parallel FUDCon

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 16:47:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 07:28:23AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 15:33 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 04:47:07PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
>
> > > I like the idea of a CUDcon - but if it were me (and it clearly isn't,
> > > I am doing no work on this.) I think I'd shoot for a standalone
> > > conference, once a year, and before it's even announced I'd get some
> > > significant buy in from the folks at places like Gluster, Euca,
> > > OpenStack, Ceph(Dreamhost), CloudFoundry, etc, so that they will show
> > > up and participate.) To my knowledge there's no cloud-focused open
> > > source conference, and it's a niche that done right should draw lots
> > > of folks.
> >
> > OK, thanks, that's definitely one of the potential solutions.
>
> David's suggestion feels right to me too. There are a lot of open-source
> cloud projects working away in their own silos. I think there would be
> huge value in getting those communities together. You won't achieve that
> with a Fedora/RHEL/Red Hat centric event.
>
> This would be an event with a similar intent to the Desktop Summit -
> bring complementary and competing communities together so they can both
> meet peers within their own community and have exposure to other
> communities.

Yes, after this discussion, that seems like a clearer solution.

For myself, I have to decide about pursuing this as a pure
stand-alone, which presents a whole new world of challenges.

For this group, the questions now up in the air:

* Blacksburg has rooms to set aside in advance, if we want to plan a
  cloud track or cloud day for FUDCon. Do you want to?

* A cloud day could be in advance of FUDCon by a day?

* Would you prefer a semi-planned cloud track?

* Would you prefer to just let things arise naturally out of the
  BarCamp format?

- Karsten
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org