Fedora Torrent seeder plans and future

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 30 03:54:40 UTC 2012

On 2012-01-29 15:35, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On 01/28/2012 08:45 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012, Matt Domsch wrote:
>>
>> Responding here, but assuming that future messages will probably move
>> to the cloud@ mailing list.
> Ding ding ding. :) I'm cc'ing the illustrious, world-famous cloud sig
> mailing list (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/cloud for
> those of you who want to get in on the action). Whoever responds there
> first: You're tasked with removing advisory-board from your reply. :)
>
> I'd love to see this mini- (or perhaps mega-, I'm not sure how enormous
> the scope is here) project move forward - I wonder if this is something
> we can pull together before we do F17 alpha or beta, so we can get it
> tested and make sure our Beefy Miracle is kosher on AWS/S3/EC2 for
> final. :) Some of that presumably depends on the bandwidth of mdomsch
> and dgilmore, but there are probably bits and pieces where others can
> pitch in.

What is the purpose of putting package mirrors in S3?  Network traffic
inbound to EC2 is free, so users have little to gain.  It will also cost
the Fedora Project non-trivial amounts of time and money to run entire
mirrors there and keep them up to date.

The original purpose of this thread was to discuss torrent seeds for
Fedora disk images.  S3 seems like a reasonable way to accomplish this
with a minimum amount of work, but please don't conflate a solution to
media distribution and an entire package mirror that will take much more
resources to run.