Fedora 20 cloud plans?

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Fri Jun 28 10:36:11 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

It was mentioned elsewhere that Matt/Garrett had a thought to have systemd journal logs output to syslog and console; do you mean something like that, or do you just mean straight-up, no rsyslog?

(Warning: uneducated-about-logging comments start here)

My only question about doing that as the standard is whether or not many of the log analyzers or monitoring systems out there actually have journal logs as an input (for lack of a better term). TBH - I don't really know if "journal logs as an input" is an issue; I know there are plugins for journal like journal2gelf, but there are a zillion other things out there where I don't know how things would function (log4j 2, logstash, loggly, splunk, nagios, etc).

While I agree that it's good to push people towards the new technologies in Fedora - I think there's a fine line in situations like this where we want to make sure that we're at least being aware of end-user surrounding infrastructure and making sure other projects are going to be compatible.

But like I said, I am rather uneducated in this area so I could be worrying for nothing.

All that said: I did see a post from Johann on G+ about rsyslog gaining systemd journal support:
https://plus.google.com/107796074242209146626/posts/ZhfYBR6b1cv

(Short version: rsyslog 7.4.0 released and gains systemd journal support

* omjournal writes messages to the journal
* imjournal obtains messages including journal-specific meta data items from the journal)

... which also points to this rsyslog vs. journal paper which might be good food for thought:
http://blog.gerhards.net/2013/05/rsyslog-vs-systemd-journal.html

-robyn