urgent(ish): heat-cfntools -> python-boto -> python3 -> sad

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 16:34:50 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 08, 2014 at 01:39:47PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> hey all. heat-cfntools requires python-boto, which requires python3,
> which shouldn't happen before we're ready to transition to python3
> overall.

When you say "requires" python3, you're saying that boto now works only
with python3?  I've probably missed some context if so, can you provide any
links to clarify why that's happened?

On the face of it either upstream or the package maintainer forcing python3
vs providing Py3k compatibility seems like a pretty impressively
user-hostile change :(

> This has a _significant_ impact on image size now that the python-boto
> dep is gone from cloud init. Having _one_ python requirement is bad
> enough but it's egregious to pull in both 2 and 3.

> 1. does heat-cfntools hard-require python-boto?

Right now, yes, but if we have to it can be reworked to break that
requirement.

> 2. can we use a python-boto that isn't python3 before we're ready?
>    (there was supposed to be a coherent plan for this!)

Yes, this sounds like the best short-term fix while we work on (1).

> 3. should we drop heat-cfntools for f21?

We'd really prefer it if you didn't, please :)

We (the heat community) are happy to help drive resolution of this, it's
just something of an unexpected issue tbh :(

Historically boto has broken us more regularly than any other dependency
though, so it may not be a bad thing to break that dependency anyway.  I'm
not sure if we can do it in the next 7 days, so planning for (2) sounds
like the best plan right now, if possible.

> Agents are a pain. :(

I appreciate the frustration, but it feels a bit like heat-cfntools is the
messenger here, with boto being the real problem?

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll try to get it sorted for
the change deadline.

Thanks,

Steve