Starting the Talking Points for F22

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Apr 14 22:26:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/14/2015 09:50 AM, Colin Walters wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> That works for me. Any volunteers for actually working on making
>>> http://atomic.fedoraproject.org/?
>>
>> And to clarify, we're then backing out all of the Atomic bits in Fedora 22
>> mainline rel-eng such as the repository and cloud image, vagrant box,
>> and installer?
>
> No - the plan is still to deliver F22 Atomic, though it's non-blocking.
> But we will not be doing an "official" F23 Atomic.
>
> Best,
>
> jzb
> --
> Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst
> jzb at redhat.com | http://community.redhat.com/
> Twitter: @jzb  | http://dissociatedpress.net/

So then we need talking points for F22 "Atomic Cloud" that clearly
define the pieces and their roadmaps, right?

Pieces:

1. *Fedora* Atomic host and its release media / disk images / Vagrant boxes
2. Fedora 22 Docker image (which right now is a tarball and not
available on Docker Hub)
3. fedora-dockerfiles package

Personally, I'd make the Docker image on Docker Hub a final release
blocker, document the workflow for fedora-dockerfiles and Docker image
extensively as part of Workstation, which is indeed at least half of
how I spend my time on Workstation. I'd be happy to contribute what I
can from the OSJourno project.

I think the "pivot" moving Atomic out of the Fedora process is a
problem for developers, but given how fast Docker and Kubernetes are
moving it's unavoidable. My Atomic use case will be well-served by the
upcoming CentOS effort to make a CentOS Atomic that tracks RHEL
Atomic.

--
OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.