ecryptfs on F21 EC2 instance

Ron Wagner ron at wagnertechnologies.com
Thu Aug 13 20:50:12 UTC 2015

Greetings,

If this is the wrong list, kindly point me to the correct one.

I am trying to get ecryptfs running on a Fedora 21 EC2 instance on Amazon’s AWS service. Not having any luck whatsoever, I brought up a virtual F21 on my desktop computer in VMWare Fusion to test the procedure to get ecryptfs running, and was successful.

Some info about my EC2 instance:

AMI: Fedora-Cloud-Base-20141203-21.x86_64-us-east-1-0
Kernel ID: aki-919dcaf8, Kernel image name:  pv-grub-hd0_1.04-x86_64.gz
Kernel release: 4.1.4-100.fc21.x86_64
Kernel version: #1 SMP Tue Aug 4 03:25:05 UTC 2015
Virtualization: paravirtual

When running ecryptfs-setup-private, I get the following error:

	ERROR:  Cannot get ecryptfs version, ecryptfs kernel module not loaded?

I tried sudo modprobe ecryptfs and got the following error:

	modprobe: FATAL: Module ecryptfs not found.

This command succeeded while testing on the VMWare instance.

Looking at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security_Features_Matrix it indicates that eCryptfs is an optional package in F21. Is this referring to the ecryptfs-utils package, or the kernel module, or both? Can  eCryptfs be used on an Amazon EC2 instance, and if so, how do I get the kernel module installed?

Thanks
Ron Wagner