Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Jun 2 03:40:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Rickard von Essen
<rickard.von.essen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think there is one good (nearly) point and click installer that we could
> use (more): vagrant. Currently there is only boxes for VirtualBox and
> libvirt, maybe it would be possible to provide boxes for VMware, Parallels,
> KVM etc. It would also be great to publish the meta-info on
> https://atlas.hashicorp.com to allow something like "vagrant init
> fedora/atomic-23".

Vagrant does support Client Hyper-V but there's no packaged Fedora
Atomic box for it. That's not too difficult; the only "heavy lifting"
required is to run a 'qemu-img convert' to make a compatible 'vhdx'
virtual disk. However, the Vagrant configuration file is executable
Ruby code, which adds a severe cognitive load to an end user; even if
it's well documented it's a barrier to widespread adoption.

> If we are looking for a more boot2docker like solution it is good to know
> that boot2docker (cli) is being deprecated by docker machine which actually
> (soon) have a decent number of drivers (VirtualBox, VMware etc). Docker
> machine just downloads and uses the boot2docker.iso. It should be possible
> to use another iso as long as it follows some expectations by docker
> machine. In the near future there will also be a GUI for docker machine
> called https://kitematic.com/ .

Docker Machine also supports Client Hyper-V. As you note, it uses
boot2docker.iso as its "hosting shim" on Windows and MacOS X. It's an
open source project; presumably someone with the motivation could fork
it and replace Boot2Docker with Atomic. It's a significant effort,
though, and given

* The lack of any market research saying there's a payoff for the effort, and
* The Vagrant solution is closer to the desired end state

I'm not rushing off to do the fork myself. ;-)

> And to repeat what previously have been said, there is a desperate need of
> better documentation.

Yes - and market research / "customer development". I see a lot of
really cool proposals flying by in the cloud / Atomic space but not a
lot of "who'll actually use this in a paying project" beyond
OpenShift. ;-)