Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 11 20:48:37 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 03:37:00PM -0400, Matt Micene wrote:
> Is where we're at loggerheads.  While cloud environments are operationally
> different than bare-metal, it's not useful to most cloud admins to have to
> track down and automate huge amounts of packages to get to a working Ruby
> on Rails server, and having a major usability difference between Server and
> Cloud in that context is going to harm adoption.

I'm not clear on the "track down and automate" comment here. That's
going to be the same on Cloud _or_ Server — `nf groupinstall
rubyonrails`

> To possibly commit a faux pas and talk about RHEL (as a consumer, I'm not a
> red hatter), RHEL 6 Base on bare metal and RHEL 6 Base in AWS are
> functionally equivalent.  Someone on the inside who knows exactly what the
> builds contain can probably pick nits but the differences are mostly
> invisible, aside from repo locations.  That's what I think the Cloud SIG
> needs to deliver for Fedora Cloud Base.

That RHEL image doesn't ship with rails installed either, though, does
it?

> Spinning up a image *inside* an IaaS environment (from Heat or EC2 console)
> slightly faster isn't an advantage if I then lose more time installing
> packages over the network, creating a new image to then start using as my
> baseline.

Agreed — that's where the idea of having a dozen or so images
preconfigured with popular runtimes makes sense. But an image with
_all_ the runtimes doesn't.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>