Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 1 23:18:49 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 01.12.2010, 14:54 -0800 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 23:48 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but rel-eng is the only group in Fedora that
> > has no instructions how to join in the wiki. For most of the Fedora
> > contributors they act as a block box that is constantly working and
> > magically every 6 months it a release falls out of it.
> >
> > IMHO large parts of this is a communication problem. rel-eng fails to
> > communicate what they do and how they do it. Just a few examples:
>
> This has been improved markedly recently:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Release_Engineering_SOPs

At least we do know what they do but not how decisions are made and -
most important - how to join. Every other group in Fedora has
instructions on joining them in the wiki.

> >      1. As a spin owner I was not notified in when F12 test composes
> >         where available for testing. Spins SIG was not notified ether.
>
> It's actually QA which does notification of this. I've been making sure
> to notify the desktop lists when test composes go out since F14.

Indeed, and things have improved after that. Thanks for that!

> >      2. There was a problem in the F13 LXDE spin that required a respin
> >         (but no updated packages) of the image. It was not done as
> >         rel-eng did not give feedback in the corresponding bug report.
>
> There was a similar case for F14; the re-spin was ultimately not done,
> but releng did at least clearly take part in the discussion and explain
> why not.

Sorry, I meant F14 and we are talking about the same issue then. Look
into the bug, there was no final statement from rel-eng, nether if they
will do it nor if they wont.

> >      3. I have been fighting for the multi desktop DVD and suddenly
> >         someone brought up to my attention that there is an image at
> >         http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/mega-dvd-test/
> >         Who produced that image? Why didn't he bother to tell me?
>
> I'm interested in that one too :)

Let's see what happens. :)

Site note on the multi desktop DVD: The bottle neck is not rel-eng or
the board ATM but Red Hat Munich. Our contact there left Red Hat and we
have noone to take over the bill, so I cannot place an order for any
media in EMEA.

Regards,
Christoph