Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 23:38:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 16:18, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 01.12.2010, 14:54 -0800 schrieb Adam Williamson:
>> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 23:48 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>
>> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but rel-eng is the only group in Fedora that
>> > has no instructions how to join in the wiki. For most of the Fedora
>> > contributors they act as a block box that is constantly working and
>> > magically every 6 months it a release falls out of it.
>> >
>> > IMHO large parts of this is a communication problem. rel-eng fails to
>> > communicate what they do and how they do it. Just a few examples:
>>
>> This has been improved markedly recently:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Release_Engineering_SOPs
>
> At least we do know what they do but not how decisions are made and -
> most important - how to join. Every other group in Fedora has
> instructions on joining them in the wiki.

I am not sure its a group that people can just 'join' but on they have
to work into. It is not fair, nice or clean but I don't see the
equivalent groups in Debian (FTP Masters sort of fits here) or
OpenSUSE just allowing anyone joining [Hey look I got signing keys
just by clicking JOIN NOW.. lets go resign bsd-games with root privs
as a joke and see how long it takes for anyone to notice.]

Ok so that is where it is at the moment. What would be the standards
for someone to be acceptable.. maybe this article on how the Debian
group does it might help?

http://lwn.net/Articles/381667/

--
Stephen J Smoogen.