Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 00:49:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 04:38:26PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 16:18, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> This has been improved markedly recently:
> >>
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Release_Engineering_SOPs
> >
> > At least we do know what they do but not how decisions are made and -
> > most important - how to join. Every other group in Fedora has
> > instructions on joining them in the wiki.
>
> I am not sure its a group that people can just 'join' but on they have
> to work into. It is not fair, nice or clean but I don't see the
> equivalent groups in Debian (FTP Masters sort of fits here) or
> OpenSUSE just allowing anyone joining [Hey look I got signing keys
> just by clicking JOIN NOW.. lets go resign bsd-games with root privs
> as a joke and see how long it takes for anyone to notice.]

To be fair, though, rel-eng does tasks which are not signing.  We could also
look at our tooling and see if we could restructure some things so that
signing was completely independent of other tasks.

I would like to see us at the place where rel-eng were structured more like
infrastructure with tasks that people new to the project could perform as
well as tasks which people have to build up a significant amount of trust to
be allowed to work on.  I'll have to talk to rel-eng people to see if they
think that's possible.

-Toshio