Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Dec 2 01:00:55 UTC 2010

On 12/01/2010 04:49 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> To be fair, though, rel-eng does tasks which are not signing.  We could also
> look at our tooling and see if we could restructure some things so that
> signing was completely independent of other tasks.

It is that way.  We have members of releng that are not signers.

> I would like to see us at the place where rel-eng were structured more like
> infrastructure with tasks that people new to the project could perform as
> well as tasks which people have to build up a significant amount of trust to
> be allowed to work on.  I'll have to talk to rel-eng people to see if they
> think that's possible.

It should be possible.  We've had people do exactly that, Kevin Fenzi
started showing up at meetings (which were kinda advertised) and
expressed interest in picking up some open tasks.  Till Maas did the
same or similar.

I did a very poor job of trying to get more people in.  Part of that was
reluctance to bring people in without having clear docs on what to do
once "in".  John Poelstra has done an extremely good job in getting
these instructions in place.  I didn't make recruiting more people in a
priority over the other tasks I was working on.  Perhaps Dennis Gilmore
can change that.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!