Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 09:47:40 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 03, 2010 06:52:30 pm Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 11:59 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > The point is that, as has already been pointed out, focus is good when
> > you have limited resources. If we have 50 spins and all of them
> > request artwork, is it reasonable to expect the design team to
> > create that artwork? (I don't think so.)
>
> I think we can keep in mind the 'do we prioritize some spins' discussion
> here too. Requiring artwork group to create/help create artwork for
> every spin there is (especially given that that set can theoretically be
> arbitrarily large)? Not a good idea, no. :) Requiring artwork for, say,
> four primary spins? More plausible. You may still think it's a bad idea
> - I just wanted to point out that the possibility of prioritizing a
> small subset of spins has implications here.

Priorities should work. But I agree with the idea to help with artwork, testing
etc. from spins.

For example - you are co-ordinator of QA, we try to push some resources to help
you accomplish testing - Desktop Validation. It would be impossible to
coordinate everything within SIG - big overhead, sharing resources works.

Same with artwork - Design team prepares artwork, we can build on top of this
artwork our KDM theme, Plasma theme, KSplash theme. It just works - now. We had
several issues a long time ago when there were no deadlines, no schedules - it
was bad. Now Design team sticks to Fedora schedules - it just works (from my
POV) -> win for everyone ;-) And I agree with Mo - if you ask for something late
- everyone has too much work finishing release -> you have to probably wait or
step into process.

On the other hand - this can work only for big spins like Desktop, Plasma
Desktop -> it's some sort of prioritizing.

Jaroslav
--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275