Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Mon Dec 6 17:31:32 UTC 2010

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 22:37:55 -0500
Greg DeKoenigsberg <greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/12/4 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>
>

> > I wonder if the spin advocates are aware of everything that is
> > already in place and have an idea of what more we could actually do
> > that we aren't already doing.
>
> Good question.
>
> I've said enough -- probably more than enough.  Nothing new in that.
> I'll step aside.  :)
>
> Spins folks: what steps would *you* be satisfied with?  Come with
> proposals.

ok. Here's some thoughts from me on spins. ;)

For me personally, the Xfce spin is a nice way to let someone try out
Fedora's Xfce desktop, see if they like it and install it if they do.
If there were some other as easy way for them to do this, I would be
happy not having to deal with spins. ;)

Do I want Xfce to be top billed? no. The Xfce sig is me and the
excellent Christoph and a few other folks. If Fedora shipped Xfce as
default I doubt we could keep up with the bugs/documentation
needs/support issues.

Do I mind that Gnome is top billed? not really. We have the most folks
working on it, people like it, and the ones who don't can be pointed to
other options.

Perhaps I am just too easygoing?

As far as resources go, its sad when we don't have enough
time/energy/people to satisfy requests. I think we could all do better
communicating when thats the case, ie, "sorry, I don't think I can
handle your request this cycle, please see if you can drum up more
people to work on it".

Short term the spins sig is currently dead. We could:
a) Try and revitalize it. This is going to take someone stepping up as
spins wrangler, owners of spins stepping up to attend meetings and help
review new spins. Other groups that interact with spins will need to
agree to help them, or note clearly up front when they can't so the
spins sig can try and gather those resources.

b) Move spins to be controlled by sigs. The problem with this is that
then there is no one watching dates, controlling when things are
committed to SCM, approved, etc.

c) Move spins to be controlled by re-eng. This would require probibly
growing rel-eng some to make sure there was someone there that cared
about spins and basically did the spins-wrangler stuff.

Pie in the sky:

It would be nice if we had a way to "yum spininstall Xfce-spin" on an
existing machine and you get everything setup the way the spin would
have done it. This would allow people who know already that they want
Xfce or FEL to just run one command on an installed system and get it.
I suspect this might meet the needs of lots of spins.

It would be nice if we could add all the "base" desktops to the dvd
media, and anaconda grew a "make spin" option. Then, you boot the dvd,
select LXDE or whatever and "make spin" and it dumps to a usb. Perhaps
a blueray would work to have all packages on all spins. Of course we
would still need to test these, but it might reduce the number of media
produced to the dvd. ;)

Just some thoughts...

kevin