GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 16 16:54:20 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 16.12.2010, 11:25 -0500 schrieb Máirín Duffy:
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 11:21 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > I'd expect to see upstream development happening transparently on an
> > upstream list.  Perhaps this is what we're looking for?

Paul, as you correctly mention this is the upstream development, but I
wonder where does the downstream discussion take place. Packaging, QA,
package selection, design and all that.

> The team also has weekly office hours in Gimpnet IRC, are very active in
> public IRC during other hours, and in general are easy to get a hold of.

Mo, it may be easy to get hold of them for you, but not for me or
others:
      * I hardly see any of them on freenode and have to add another IRC
        server to contact them.
      * Their office hours don't work for me ether. Not an accusation, I
        just want to point out that having office hours is not a
        solution.
      * The hardly respond to mails, at least if you dare to criticize
        something.
      * The hardly respond to bugs. When the F12 ABRT bugs were closed I
        realized that my GNOME bugs have an extremely bad ratio of
        response, not to speak of getting them actually fixed (same goes
        for bugs filed upstream at bugzilla.gnome.org). I know many of
        our GNOME folks have more work than any of us (e. g. one of them
        has 711 open bugs), but still I think it is paradox: These
        people should be able to handle bugs much more efficient because
        they are the developers and there is no maintainer between them
        and the bug reporter, but still they not even reply to bugs. I
        guess this is because developing new cool stuff is more fun than
        fixing old bugs.
      * They hardly respond to feature requests. The dependency pain
        points effort started by me on behalf of FESCo hardly gets
        response even though it targets many GNOME packages.

> The designers have a public & advertised git repo for their design work.

Advertised? Where? Can I find this information in the Fedora wiki?

> I don't think it's fair to accuse anyone working on GNOME 3 of a lack of
> transparency.

It's not about people working on GNOME in general but working on GNOME
*in* *Fedora* in particular.

Regards,
Christoph