GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 22:56:09 UTC 2010

2010/12/16 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> I thought I was still on topic with CW original post regardless if I am
> or not if I have caused a lot of people a lot of anguish or even
> offended anyone with my honest criticism I apologize for that.

The issue isn't whether you think its on topic or not. The issue is
you have suggested that Mairin is no longer on topic. The topic for
you has drifted..it happens...its natural.

If this were a face-to-face synchronized  conversation around
someone's kitchen table or at a bar...everyone listening would be _in
the moment_ and points and issues raised several thousand words ago
would not be a burden in understanding one another at the single _tip_
of the conversation. New people walking up to that face-to-face
conversation would be expected to conform to the 2 minute rule of
listening to the current topic and would not have a back log of many
many posts that could be a jumping on point for their first
interjection. A face-to-face conversation has a natural flow of _in
the moment_ information transfer which makes it easy for topics to
wander fluidly while keeping everyone listening in on the same page.

Conversations in async archived discussions like mailinglists will not
and cannot work the same way as a face-to-face conversation. The async
nature of mailinglists make topic wandering much more problematic and
require more structure to be useful mechanisms for discourse.
Mailinglist participants need to be more more cognisant of the fact
that its not ia single conversation between multiple people where
everyone is _in the moment_ and up to speed. Unlike face-to-face
conversations which wander from one topic to another in a sort of
linear fashion.... mailinglists tend to bifurcate into many multiple
conversations among the same people, Bifurcate instead of flow. You
aren't really having the same conversation any more that Mairin is
having..it just appears like you are because the subject line hasn't
changed.  Keeping it in the same thread only encourages
misunderstanding.

-jef