Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 13 20:45:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 20:30 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On fös 13.des 2013 17:28, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> > Really?
>> >
>> > The KDE SIG has full access to change what gets installed when you
>> > install from the DVD. If you're saying it's releng and FESCo's
>> > responsibility to fix that, then as a releng and FESCo member, I'll fix it...
>>
>> Who decided what's shipped on the dvd ?
>
> So avoiding the grandstanding, I'd say FESCo probably is the arbiter of
> 'what major groups do we put on the DVD?', but it's not FESCo's job to
> micro-manage specifically what packages are in each group.
>
> So it's not necessarily the KDE SIG's job/role to decide whether KDE can
> go on the DVD - that is up to a Higher Power - but it *is* KDE SIG's
> job/role to maintain the actual KDE package groups in comps. Ditto for
> Desktop/GNOME.

If both major DE groups don't care about the DVD contents because they
feel their respective Spins are their main concern, then it's not
entirely hyperbolic to just not ship the DVD at all.  I think we're
already heading down this path with the 3 product approach, so it's
not something to be cast aside as unrealistic.

josh