Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 20:51:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 15:45 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> Who decided what's shipped on the dvd ?
> >
> > So avoiding the grandstanding, I'd say FESCo probably is the arbiter of
> > 'what major groups do we put on the DVD?', but it's not FESCo's job to
> > micro-manage specifically what packages are in each group.
> >
> > So it's not necessarily the KDE SIG's job/role to decide whether KDE can
> > go on the DVD - that is up to a Higher Power - but it *is* KDE SIG's
> > job/role to maintain the actual KDE package groups in comps. Ditto for
> > Desktop/GNOME.
>
> If both major DE groups don't care about the DVD contents because they
> feel their respective Spins are their main concern, then it's not
> entirely hyperbolic to just not ship the DVD at all.

Let's clarify before we go too far down this path: jreznik told me this
was the case for KDE SIG. Other members of KDE SIG don't seem to be
quite so clear about it, and no-one from desktop SIG has said they don't
curate their DVD contents and don't think that package set is important.
Sorry if the discussion so far has given a different impression.

>   I think we're
> already heading down this path with the 3 product approach, so it's
> not something to be cast aside as unrealistic.

You can see which path the 3 product approach is headed down?! Where do
I sign to borrow your crystal ball? :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey