Should Firefox stay the default browser in Fedora Workstation?

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 17:36:23 UTC 2014

On 06/06/2014 11:52 AM, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> Should Firefox stay the default browser in Fedora Workstation?
>
> I know it's powerful, it has a lot of extensions, and it's popular.
> But it's integration with our desktop is lacking and getting worse all
> the time.

I know its not our only Target Audience, but the PRD makes it pretty
clear that we are targeting Developers. For the potential web developer
using Fedora, is there the same (or even simiar) range of web developer
extensions and tools available in epiphany that firefox currently has?

> Here's a list of things Firefox lacks in Fedora:
> * GPU acceleration
> * Integration with the desktop's geolocation services
>   * On that note, geolocation doesn't work at all in Fedora's firefox
> at the moment
> * Integration with the desktop's notification system
> * Support of url scheme handlers (this used to work)
> * UI that matches the rest of the desktop (without installing 3rd
> party theme and extensions)
> * GTK3 support
> * High-DPI support
> * Touch input support

How important are each of these features to our target audience? It is
worth (by default) to replace the features that firefox does have (that
epiphany doens't) with these features that epiphany has that firefox
doesn't?

regards,
ryanlerch