Curating the metadata in the Software application

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 18:34:54 UTC 2014

On 27 June 2014 18:21, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
> That is all well and good (and i have contributed 60+ screenshots in the
> past), so I know how it works. But the idea behind something more formal
> would be to create a task list of apps that need better data, so anything
> that is filed upstream is recorded.

Yes, this would be a good idea. Apps that we can verify have good
quality and up to date AppData before every release. Additionally,
writing AppData like you have done for Firefox where it's very hard to
push it upstream surely must continue, and I think the
fedora-appstream dump is probably the right place for those cases. We
probably ought to translate some of those too.

> Also the software application has the
> concept of  Featured applications, which we need to curate and focus more on
> Fedora's target audience.

This is important also, and certainly needs a refresh for 3.13.x
already. We also need to start identifying better ways of suggesting
applications, e.g. if I have GIMP and Inkscape installed, MyPaint is
probably more relevant than Geary. We couldn't do this before as so
few apps had AppData, but nowadays things are looking distinctly more
rosy[1].

Richard

[1] http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/screenshots/f21/status.html