Tweak Tool in Workstation?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue May 12 02:00:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-05-11 at 17:29 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> If you want the tweaks to be integrated on a more equal footing with
> the regular settings, one fun project would be to add a search
> provider to gnome-tweak-tool, similar to what gnome-control-center
> has, so you can find individual tweak tool pages in the shell search.

Another fun project would be to pick important settings from Tweak
Tool and merge them into gnome-control-center. We're not getting
requests for Tweak Tool because it's a good app (it's not), but
because gnome-control-center isn't good enough.

I agree that Tweak Tool doesn't need to be included by default. It's
dead simple to install with the gnome-software search provider, and
it's home to the settings that we *don't* want to be offered to users.
Anything we expect users to change belongs in gnome-control-center.

I took a look through Tweak Tool and identified some candidates:

* I think there's a strong case to be made for having the other
background and lock screen settings in gnome-control-center. This has
been a longstanding complaint from users since the background panel
was redesigned in 3.6.

* Shell extensions: As long as we're going to offer them, we shouldn't
relegate them to Tweak Tool. Perhaps gnome-software would be a better
location than gnome-control-center, but either would be better than
Tweak Tool. (But the gnome-shell browser plugin is very crashy at
worst and unreliable at best, so we should fix that first.)

* Fonts: Frequently-requested settings, since people have extremely
different preferences for how fonts should look. It'd be good to have
a fonts panel. This would be a big project, though.

* Power: The "power button action" and "when laptop lid is closed"
settings would be good to have in the Power panel. At least we need
the laptop lid setting; that's easy and commonly-requested.

* Top bar: Maybe show date in clock could live in the Date & Time
panel, where the 12/24 hour setting is.

Curious for thoughts on these (Bastien? Rui?). I'll file bugs if they
seem sane.