The “Windows Just Works” BIG fallacy

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 12 12:40:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 04:57:58AM -0500, kendell clark wrote:
> It does allow us to improve, but not when the community cannot decide
> on a direction because one group wants the easiest solution, and the
> other wants a foss solution. And just to add my two cents in, windows

I don't think this has to be a strong one-way-or-the-other dichotomy.
Fedora has always taken a strong free software stance, but we've never
been pure enough to get the top GNU seal of approval -- and that's
okay. long as we agree on the goal (world domination for free
software), we can talk about different ways to get there. Our
contributor community sentiment as always been strongly in favor of
avoiding "the easy way out" when it comes to proprietary and
patent-encumbered software, and I generally agree, but that doesn't
mean we can't find ways to make our *users'* lives easier when we can
demonstrate that it will lead to more and better free software overall.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>