dependency tool for RedHat

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sat Aug 9 08:45:32 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 00:26, Arnaud Abelard wrote:

> > The only major thing up2date doesn't do, that apt/yum/urpmi does, is
> > cascade  removal.
>
> Hmm.. i just thought of something about apt-get: it's useless if your
> rpmdb isn't consistant.. i mean if you install 1 rpm with --nodeps
> because, you have the lastest version of a lib and the rpm you want to
> install require a older version of this lib, apt-get will not want to
> install anything.

Which is a good thing.  If you insist on running with inconsistent rpm
databases, then your system is hosed by definition.  In the case above,
if the rpm you want to install insists on the lower library (I don't
think I ever see many that do Requires: ... < (version)), then either
it's a packaging bug (the software works fine with this newer version)
or it's an actual situation where the newer lib doesn't work well (in
which case using --nodeps won't make the software magically work).

The only good argument for ever having an inconsistent database is those
precious few instances where you have to change versions on some
packages and between those versions the package set is done differently,
so you need to be inconsistent to remove parts and upgrade parts at the
same time.

So, thank you apt-get for not working when being inconsistent.

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
Now, if it were called the Orgasmator,
I'd be the first to try your basic