RH Taroon Beta Open Ports

David Necas (Yeti) yeti at physics.muni.cz
Mon Aug 25 19:27:14 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:03:04PM -0700, Chuck Wolber wrote:

> > Firewalls is the best way to deal with network security.... and there no
> > system configuration that we can do to change that fact...
>
> I think we're in violent agreement here...

However, this is the basic nonsense upon which the others are
built on.  The best way to deal with network security is not
relying on a single thing; but using firewalls, configuration,
IDS, policies, ... literarly anything you can, to support it.

Too many people thinking `I'm safe, I have a firewall' have
been 0wned...

Firewall is no excuse for running redundant services.  Thus
the question is not about what firewalls are good for, but
how much or how often is portmap (and others) redundant.

Regards,

Yeti

--
Do not use tab characters. Their effect is not predictable.