Athlon 64 support?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 11:52:23 UTC 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Gerald Henriksen wrote:

>>> I understand that Red Hat is planning to support Athlon 64 machines
>>> specifically in the Enterprise line? Is this correct? (I'm not bashing
>>> or judging, just confirming a fact. :)
>>
>>Supporting Athlon 64 in the Enterprise line only would be daft, as
>>Athlon 64 is a consumer chip.  Perhaps you meant Opteron, the
>>server/workstation AMD64 CPU?  But speaking of Athlon 64, will a
>>consumer RHL project release be made for it?
>
>The Enterprise line does have AMD64 version for the next release
>(which is currently in beta - named taroon).

Correct.

>It is expected as the Red Hat Linux Project gets going the community
>will provide an AMD64 version in the future.

It's unknown at this point in time wether or not an official
AMD64 release will be done for the RHLP.  That is yet to be
decided.

On a personal note however, if an official release doesn't occur,
I will be volunteering personal time to work on a community
driven release along with other interested parties if possible.

Once the Athlon 64 consumer chip becomes available, I believe
that there will definitely be a quickly forming enthusiast
community for this new chip, and I know what OS I'd like to see
people running on it.  ;o)

Of course this is all just personal speculation of my own, and I
do not speak for Red Hat in any way.