Some Ideas About Fedora 14 Media

Liang Suilong liangsuilong at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 09:28:06 UTC 2010

Tnank you for your reply.

As you say, kickstart command can filter installation language. But the
problem is lacking a easy way to switch to another language which is not
installed in the system.

Once I tried to install Fedora 13 Broffice.org Spin on my desktop. Switching
to English is an easy job, nevertheless, Switching to Simplified Chinese is
quite hard. Now I do not know how to make GNOME become Chinese interface.
Should I reinstall entire GNOME? I have installed Chinese-support group.

I know separating langpack from GNOME is a difficult and big project. But
why does not GNOME pack language files like kde-l10-* for KDE4? It is more
flexible. No matter what should be changed in LiveCD, I just hope Desktop
Spin LiveCD keeps 700MB CD Size. Maybe Hybrid DVD solution will be more
available and accepted by most user.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/4/28 Liang Suilong <liangsuilong at gmail.com>:
> > Hi, all.
> > Fedora 13 Desktop Spin would target to 1GB LiveDVD. But at last desktop
> team
> > decided to return to 700MB CD size. It means that we should give up
> > OpenOffice.org and GIMP by default. It looks quite sad. Looking at
> > BrOffice.org, I seem to find out some ideas.
> > Broffice suite and GIMP are installed in BrOffice.org by default,
> > nevertheless, broffice spin gives up many locale files. Broffice just
> only
> > support English, Spanish and Portuguese. So does desktop spin follow this
> > method? Deskop spin contains OOo and GIMP, but it should remove most of
> > GNOME locale files and OOo langpack. Then desktop spin can keep 700MB CD
> > size.
> > How can we download langpack file? Yum-langpacks seems to be the best
> > solution. When we choose some language in system-config-lanage,
> > yum-langpacks can download langpack of GNOME, KDE and OOo and some fonts
> we
> > need and IME for that language. Anaconda also can run this plugin in
> > %post-install so that it can fetch language pack and IME from remote
> > repository.
> > But We can not ignore that separating langpack from GNOME is a great job.
> > Packaging langpack like kde-l10n-* and language-pack-* in Ubuntu needs a
> lot
> > of packager to do it.
> > Better experience: Live/Install Hybrid DVD
> > Looking at install DVD, it looks too old. To add a Livesystem on DVD
> media
> > can improve user experience. However, unlike Anaconda on install media,
> > Anaconda on live system can not load a repository on media or a remote
> > repository. That's a great problem.
> > Just hope these suggestions can help Fedora community, I wish that Fedora
> 14
> > would have a better installation experience.
> > Liang Suilong
>
> The appropriate kickstart command to filter exept but french and english
> is:
> %packages --instLangs en:fr:fr_FR:fr-FR
> it doesn't  work on EL-5 IIRC and I don't know how it will work with
> lang-pack plugin.
>
> The problem was that once the live media is installed, then you don't
> have the full set of Fedora packages and you cannot restore the other
> locale at this time.
>
> I think an hybrid install/live media with locales stipped is a good
> idea that worth some experiments.
>
> Nicolas (kwizart)
> --

Fedora && Debian User, former Ubuntu User
My Page: http://www.liangsuilong.info
Fedora Project Contributor -- Packager && Ambassador
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Liangsuilong