old_testing_critpath notifications

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Dec 1 21:22:42 UTC 2010

On 12/01/2010 01:41 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 13:23 -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
>> That being said, F14 went out with a broken mdadm *purely* because of
>> this policy.
>
>> Evidently my update was approved somewhere along the way, but because of
>> the volume of bodhi spam I get, I missed it.
>
> ...so what you're saying is that F14 did not in fact go out with a
> broken mdadm *purely* because of the policy, but in a small part because
> of the policy and in a large part because you don't read / filter your
> emails carefully enough.

Um, no.  It's because of the policy, period.

>>   So I'm not sure if it
>> could have made F14 final or not, but I know it didn't because I was
>> working on other things at the time.
>
> bodhi - 2010-10-14 22:36:08
> Critical path update approved
>
> The final change deadline was 10-18; you had four days to push the
> update.

Oh my, 4 whole days you say?  Let's see, the initial bodhi ticket was
filed on 2010-08-05, it was initially pushed to testing on 2010-08-10
(so five days just to push), an automated bug telling me mdadm-3.1.4 had
been released upstream was filed on 2010-09-13, this package was
approved for stable on 2010-10-14, and final drop dead push date was
2010-10-18.  If the initial push was any indication, it would have
missed the final release by a day even if I pushed it the second it
became approved!  But I would have been pushing an outdated package to boot!

I'm sorry, but no, you don't get to say ONE DAMN WORD about me not
getting it pushed in a 4 day window when the ticket itself took 60+ days
to get approved!  And that was after I put out a general request for
testing of the update on devel@ in order to try and drum up testing.

If the ticket can be allowed to languish that long, then I don't feel in
the least bit guilty that I didn't drop my other Red Hat
responsibilities on the floor when the ticket was finally approved.  By
the time it was approved, I had already moved on.  Fortunately, I wasn't
under the same restrictions on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, so it went GA
with a much better, fixed mdadm relative to Fedora.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at