Moving lspci and setpci from /sbin to /usr/sbin?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Feb 2 04:14:37 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> said:
> On 02/01/2010 10:23 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >>
> >> Please stop repeating this untrue statement.
>
> You violently don't refuse to understand?

That is correct, I am not refusing to understand (that would be you).

> RC> Consider having /usr on a separate partition and /usr failing to RC>
> mount
> RC> at bootup and times at system bootup, during which /usr is not yet
> RC> available, because it has not been mounted, yet.
>
> RC> These scenarios are the key scenarios to separate those parts of a
> RC> distros which need to be considered "essential" (have to go into
> RC> /lib,
> RC> /bin, /sbin) and which to be consider "non-essential".

Yes, that's a packaging bug, which started this thread.  lspci can't
work without stuff from /usr, so it should be moved there, or possibly
the needed dependencies should be moved out of /usr.

If you know of other problems like this, please cite specifics so they
can be fixed, instead of continuing to make vague and unfounded comments
that "a separate /usr partition has never worked on RH-based distros".

> The "emergency scenario" (/usr not being available) does not work with
> Fedora and probably all RH-based distros, because there are packages in
> /bin/* /sbin/*, which are dynamically linked against libraries in /usr/lib*.

Since when was lspci a mandatory part of an "emergency scenario"?

There's enough in /bin and /sbin to edit config in /etc, check
partitions, device-mapper, filesystems, etc.  You can bring up
networking, and (if you are handy enough) fetch files from the network
(although it would be nice to move ftp to /bin, since it appears to have
no /usr requirements).  You have cpio, gzip, and bzip2 (xz should move
to /bin as well), and with a little work, you can extract RPMs (although
it looks like od is now in /usr/bin; I thought the last time I needed
it, it was in /bin).

The fact that you apparently can't do any recovery with the working
programs in /bin and /sbin doesn't mean that others can't.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>